Wednesday, November 10, 2010

9

Great workout this morning. Had the conversation I have with myself every morning:

Lazy Me: "Go back to bed."
Wants to feel good Me: "No, you'll feel better if you work out."
Lazy Me: "Go back to bed."

This continues for a few snoozes on the alarm, but in the end, "Wants to feel good Me" usually wins out and I'll get up and go through my morning workout routine. And I can honestly say, there has never been a time after finishing a workout that I've thought, "I shouldn't have worked out this morning. I should have stayed in bed instead." But when I've slept in, I've often thought I would have been better off that day, had I worked out.

So, 9. Not a huge number, but that's how many chin ups I did this morning. I did the P90X Legs and Back routine and cranked out 9 chin ups in the first round, followed by 7 overhand pull ups in the second round of back exercises. I've done more. In fact, last January, I was doing 10 or 12 pull ups. But that was before I had an accident that resulted in a 4.2 cm tear in my rotator cuff. "One of the more impressive tears I've ever seen," my surgeon told me 6 months after he spent an hour and half repairing. After the accident, I couldn't move my arm for a while and then, once I could move it, I couldn't lift it above 90 degrees. Pretty scary.

A little surgery, a lot of Physical Therapy and 6 months later, I've been able to do P90X again. And it feels great. I had to start out slowly and when I started back in September (less than 2 months ago), I couldn't do a single pull up or chin up and now I'm doing 9 and 7, respectively. I'm pretty happy about that and plan on "pushing play" again tomorrow morning with a little KenpoX.

No comments:

Post a Comment