Saturday, November 20, 2010

Yoga Addict

Yoga is interesting. I've talked to so many people who don't particularly care for yoga when they first try it. In fact, I know a lot of people who really hate it. At first. Then, something happens. If you stick with it, focus on the moves, focus on yourself, you'll feel incredible when you're finished. It's a feeling that's difficult to describe to someone who's never done it before.

I first did yoga in college, almost 30 years ago. I remember enjoying it then, but not following through after I graduated. I picked it up again 7 or 8 years ago and again, after the first few times doing it, really enjoyed it again. But then, life happens and memberships expire and (fill in any number of excuses here).

With P90X, YogaX is one of the DVDs. I don't know the type or style of yoga it is, but it's a tough workout. It's tough, but again, if you stick with it, you really start to enjoy it. I know I do and a friend of mine who didn't care for it much has now moved on is doing yoga regularly at a local health club or yoga studio. And he still talks about how much he enjoys doing the yoga and the way it makes him feel afterwards.

I've done three classes at my health club in the past two weeks. Two were called "Power Yoga" (see my blog post below for details) and I did a Hatha Yoga session a few days ago. One thing I've learned with yoga classes, is each instructor is different. They focus on different areas, different moves, different postures. If you've tried yoga and didn't like it, don't give up on it. Yoga can be as good as the instructor leading you through it and the key is to find one that works well for you.

This morning, I went through "Power Yoga" for a second time. I was expecting the same thing as last week and that's definitely not what I got. Instead, this yoga instructor focused a great deal on the breath, on making your body was correctly aligned in each pose and I definitely got the sense she wanted everyone to feel the mind/body connection as we were going through the various poses.

I'm not sure which I prefer, but I actually like each one I've done. Still, there's nothing quite like YogaX and if you can get through YogaX without any trouble or if you just feel pretty strong all the way through, I haven't been through a yoga routine yet that challenges YogaX in terms of challenging my body.

I think all physical fitness helps keep the body young and energized, but in particular, I think yoga has more to do with overall fitness than any other exercise routine. Having said that, I don't think a workout schedule full of just yoga is the right thing to do, but I do believe everyone should add a little yoga to their fitness regimen. It'll be good for you. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment